Passions & Hobbies:
- Passions: Preaching and teaching God’s Word, discipling the next generation, leading the people of God in musical worship, and spiritually shepherding others whether it’s one on one or in a small group.
- Hobbies: Music (making it, listening to it or writing it), reading, writing poetry or prose, playing sports (my favorite is pickleball), and playing chess.
September 2011-September 2012 = The most challenging season of my life, where God called me to leave behind everything that I had ever known and loved to follow His calling. My entire identity was deconstructed and Christ led me to truly find my identity in Him alone. To top it all off, I met my beloved bride and we got married on September 9th, 2012.
Favorite Bible Story:
Joshua 1 – As Joshua faced an uncertain future after the death of Moses, the Lord led him to remember two things: that God is with him and that the Lord will keep all of His promises. The presence and promises of God were all that Joshua needed to be strong and courageous going forward in the work the Lord had called Him to do. That story and its applications have been such an encouragement to me in ministry amidst all the uncertainties of life.
What I want my legacy to be:
That I would faithfully serve the Lord, His Church, and inspire others to love and follow Jesus faithfully themselves.
People who had a significant impact on my life:
There are so many, but if I had to choose only a few I would say…
1) My wife: her presence in my life spurs me on to be more like Christ and I see the Gospel work in power through my relationship with her all the time.
2) My parents: They were living examples of the Gospel by not just dealing with me in my vast challenges growing up, but they loved me and supported me through it all. I am the man, leader, and follower of Christ because they raised me up in the way that I should go, and to this day exemplify what it means to pour out your life in service to God and His people.
3) Eric Loyer: He was the first lead pastor I served alongside in my vocational ministry career. His mentorship and friendship have been so helpful to me to this day. Eric was instrumental in shaping my functional theology and philosophy in a gospel-centered way which has impacted my sense of personal identity, purpose, and engagement in life and ministry.
4) Steve Matson: He has been a faithful mentor and friend throughout my time at Journey. He has been teaching me how to be a better leader, husband, father, and preacher as I’ve been navigating through life in ministry. His example and discipleship in my life have played a huge part in what the Lord has been doing to help me grow as a pastor and man of God.
People would be surprised to know that…
I’m actually very introverted and shy. I still get this nauseous feeling in my stomach whenever I have to get up in front of people.
My beautiful bride Samantha
My daughter Alethea, aka Thea (born 2/15/16)
My son Ezekiel, aka Zeke (born 4/10/17)
My daughter Gloria, (born 6/5/2019)
It literally changes almost every week, but I listen to everything from classical to alternative rock, hip-hop, pretty much everything with very few exceptions.
Favorite Sports Team:
Team USA in the Olympics, World-cup, and other International competitions. I don’t really follow the usual team sports with any favoritism.
I have a Bachelor’s degree in Music Ministry and a Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing and Faith from Waynesburg University. I graduated in May 2011.
I am currently working towards my Master’s in Theology studies with an emphasis in Preaching and Pastoral Ministry from Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary online and should complete the program in December of 2022.
I have gone through a lot of seminary-level pastoral training, leadership training, and continue to read and listen to content that can help me grow as a pastor and leader.